Friday, July 15, 2011

No Calendar?? Say it isn't so!!

With the new common core standards being put in place next year our administrators have told us that we will not have calendar time in our classrooms anymore! I can't quite wrap my brain around this yet!  I have been teaching for 11 years and every day we begin with our good morning song and then go right in to calendar.  So I have been trying to figure out what the morning routine will look like without calendar time.  I was wondering if anyone else has been told not to do calendar anymore and if so what are your thoughts on this.  I was told that the days of the week and months of the year are not in the standards and we do not need to spend the time on it.  I do think that I will keep the following activities...but include them in my math time:
  • Number line - how many days we have been in school
  • Place value straws - hundreds, tens and ones (again how many days we have been in school)
  • Weather graph - maybe only during our unit on weather??
  • Birthdays and Lost a Tooth charts
I would love to hear other ideas on what to do instead of calendar or what you would keep.  Thanks!!

7 comments:

  1. I originally came here to see your songs (linky party) but ended up reading all of your posts! Welcome to blogging - I'm new too! I can't believe you can't "do calendar"! I teach first and although the time I spend on it has gotten shorter and shorter, I still do it. I think it's valuable and I do consider it part of my math time (even though we do math later). Don't they know that little kids have no concept of time??? Let me know how that goes! Great songs by the way!
    Kristin
    A Teeny Tiny Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for reading my posts Kristin! This whole thing about calendar is weird to me and I am sure we will hear more about it when we go back to school. I am not sure where their reasoning came from so I will be interested to hear more. I love your blog and I am a follower now:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I go for training in two weeks... I will keep you posted. I would think that it could just not be part of math but maybe part of your morning routine? Hum...

    Jen... :-)



    Empowering Kinders and Other Kids Too

    ReplyDelete
  4. Our district will be implementing the CCS this year but I haven't heard that we would not be able to have calendar time. I am following your blog and will be very interested in how this turns out.
    Linda
    ateacherstouch.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for following me Linda! I just visited your blog and now I am following you too! I will let you know what happens with "calendar time"!

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW! If I had a choice I would teach math during my calendar time and not from my curriculum book. I just don't get it, and when I do get it they will bring it back. HA HA HA From what I know from CCS is you take a few standards and MASTER them. What a better place then calendar time to repeat the CCS everyday with the kiddos! You will have to keep us posted how it goes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Calendar time is the daily repetition of many math skills. It's hard to believe that you were told not to do it. That's where most of the math is. I hope days and months are a standard for the upper grades because when I taught 4th grade a couple years back, those kids didn't know the months. Take the time you used for calendar and add it to your math time.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...