Friday, October 21, 2011

Guess The Letter

This week in one of my literacy centers the students played "Guess the Letter" and they loved it!  All you need is an old plastic container (or cup), a tube sock and large magnetic letters.  Place the container inside the sock, I use tube socks so there is a long reach between the opening of the sock and the container (that way they cannot peek at the letter).  The students play this game with a partner.  One child closes his/her eyes while the other child places a magnetic letter inside the sock and container.  Then the child whose eyes were closed opens them and reaches into the sock.  They have to feel the letter and try to guess before pulling it out.  After they pull it out I had them record which letter it was by highlighting that letter on a paper with the alphabet on it.  Then the children switch roles and play again.  It is amazing how good they are at guessing the letters!  They wanted to do this game over and over, so I will be bringing it back and next time I will do lowercase letters.

2 comments:

  1. I love this! What a fun idea for practicing the alphabet! We will definitely play this in my classroom next week. Thanks for sharing!
    ~Meredith
    Keen on Kindergarten

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just found your blog and I am your newest follower (#70!!) I love this idea of guess the letter - so simple yet powerful. I will be doing this with my class for sure!!!

      Diane
      kindergartenafunplacetobe.blogspot.com

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...