Sunday, January 15, 2012

Word Families



We have been working on word families in our classroom.  I wanted to share one of the ways that we build word families.  I found these letter necklaces from Dr. Jean ( I think she calls them letter vests).  If you click on the link you can print the large letters, cut them out and glue them to construction paper or cardstock and add a string.  The children put the letters on to make a word and then change the first letter to continue to make new words in the same word family.  This year I took pictures of the students when we did the -en family and I printed the pictures and put them on a ring.  I love using rings because I can hang them in the writing center and they are easy for the students to grab and flip through when they are looking for a word to write.  I put other things on rings too such as; student names, color words, abc's, and theme words.  The kiddos loved these pictures so much I am thinking of doing them for other word families too!

1 comments:

  1. HI! I love the idea of taking photos of the kids and putting them on rings. They can review the words and see their friends at the same time! Great idea!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...