Sunday, June 24, 2012

Daily 5 In My Room

I have seen that some of you are doing a book study on the book The Daily 5 by Gail Boushey and Joan Moser.  I read this book a few years ago and I really liked it. I also got a lot of information from the website called The 2 Sisters.  I started implementing the routines from the book into my classroom after I read it and I was so happy with the way the children reacted to it.  I should call it the Daily 3 in my room because I only use the first three components; Read to Self, Read to Someone and Listen to Reading. I actually called it Reading Choices.  I introduce 'read to self' first and we work hard on modeling and we make a stamina graph to record how many minutes we were able to read each day.  At first the books in their book boxes only included the paper books that we had made in class.  After I taught the students about "good fit" books I let them pick two books to go along with the paper books.  I usually choose where everyone sits until they get a feel for picking a good spot.  They can sit on the floor or at a table.  I have "reading rugs" for the people sitting on the floor (they are actually cheap bath rugs that I found at Target). 

 
After working on this for a while (each group of students is different in how fast they get this part down) we move to 'read to someone'.  Read to someone is their favorite!  They love reading to a friend.  I take my time modeling this one to make sure that they understand how to listen to someone read. This is a hard skill for some of them.
 
Then I add 'listen to reading' to the mix.  I use cassette players with headphones, cd players with headphones, the computer with headphones, and whisper phones.  I need to update my technology and get more cd players or mp3 players because the cassette players are not easy for the kids to work and they are getting old.  For the computer I use websites that have online stories read to the students with pictures of the book for the kids to follow along.  Some that I use include:








One More Story 
-you have to pay for a subscription










Tumblebooks
-Phoenix Public Library, you first click on ebooks + digital media and then scroll down and on the left hand side there is a link to Tumblebook Library









Storyline Online
-actors read the stories






Speakaboos
-you will need a subscription if you want to see all of the books but there are many stories and songs that are free

I am hoping that I will still be able to fit this into my half-day schedule somehow!  When I was full day kindergarten I did this before our center time 3 times a week. I didn't use it as my center time so that is why I only used the first three components.  I felt like the word work and writing was already in center time so I didn't need to do it twice.

When we worked our way up to using the three different types of reading I would have the children choose where they were going.  I have a chart on my smartboard and I would just write in their names as they chose (when I didn't have a smartboard I just used pictures in a pocketchart with the students names on index cards).  There were only so many slots for 'listen to reading' so when it filled up they had to pick something else. If they chose 'read to someone' they had to ask someone if they could read with them and then that person had to say yes or no thank you if they wanted to pick something else.  Then I let them read for 10 minutes and then we came back to the floor and did one more rotation of 10 minutes.  They could pick something different to do this time.  The students loved Reading Choices and I noticed how focused most of the students were during this time.  I think giving them choices really helped!

You can get more ideas for Daily 5 by going to A Differentiated Kindergarten and Sharing Kindergarten and check out their Linky Party!

5 comments:

  1. I'm so glad to have found your blog--I'm your newest follower!

    I also do the same components from Daily 5. In addition to stations and writing, my curriculum includes a textbook series. Watching the children read to each other always makes me smile. :-)
    ReadWriteSing

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just found your blog!! I'm a new follower:)
    I wanted to invite you over to my site! I've got some great resources that I just posted and I know you would love to have them for your little ones....there's going to be a giveaway EVERY Day for the next 5 days!! WooHoo!!

    Tammy
    1...2...3...Teach With Me

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for linking up!
    I LOVE the rug idea. I may head to Target soon!

    Mary
    Sharing Kindergarten

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! I can't imagine trying to fit this into a half day schedule but it looks like you have a plan that's working. Thanks for linking up.
    Marsha
    A Differentiated Kindergarten

    ReplyDelete
  5. The bath rugs are a great idea. I teach half day as well. I will probably just do a Daily 3. I'm going to have to do some blog stalking here and see if I can get some more ideas. Infact...if there is anything specific you would like to recommend to me or if you have any questions for me, I would love it if you emailed me amaclin@cps18.org

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...