Thursday, July 5, 2012

Keep those Envelopes!

 

Do you get lots of junk mail everyday asking you to open a credit card or something?  Well I do and I throw out (or shred) most of it but I do keep the return envelopes that are inside.  I use these in my writing center and the kids love them!!  When we start talking about writing letters to friends or family the students go through these like they are water!  Good thing I have several people on the collecting job now.  My mom collects them for me, former parents collect them and every year I get at least one or two parents who will consistently send them in.  The students think that they are really mailing something when they put them in an "official" envelope.  I tell them that they have to have a note or letter inside (not just one scribble on a piece of paper) and they have to write the name of the person they are giving it to on the outside.  During our community helper unit I put out a mailbox (the old kind that we used to have in our yards) and they love it! Then one child gets to be the letter carrier at the end of the day and deliver the mail.  It is so cute!

6 comments:

  1. Yes, what a great idea! I am going to have to tell my friends and family to save these for me as well.

    Thanks for sharing.

    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  2. I started doing this last year, and my kids too loved it! Great idea to enlist the help of others.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just found your blog through your comment on mine. I love using those junk envelopes in my classroom! We do the mailbox thing, too. I like to share the whole reduce, reuse, recycle thing with the kids. And you're right, they feel like it's "official" mail.

    Lora
    Mrs. Webster’s Classroom Connections

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing your great ideas. I nominated you for an award. Visit my blog to get it!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...