Saturday, July 28, 2012

Literacy Centers: Smartboard

One of the students' favorite centers is the smartboard center!!  They cannot wait to get their hands on the smartboard!  I have found so many great games on Smart Notebook software and on the internet.  Right now I have a lump in my throat saying that because on Thursday I turned on my school laptop and everything I have ever made or saved was gone (including every document and every smartboard lesson I have ever made)!  I have contacted our tech team at the district and they have told me that they can fix it but I am still in a panic because even my Favorites on Internet Explorer are gone and I had over 100 sites saved!  I am hoping and praying that on Monday when I go back to summer school it is fixed!

Anyway, I will try to put that our of my mind and talk about the smartboard center.   I have two or three children in each group during center time.  When they come to the smartboard they stand in a line and take turns.  I either have a lesson that I have created or downloaded to Smart Notebook or I have the children play a game from the internet. 

Here is an example of a game that I found on Learning Planet.  It is called ABC Order.  There are a couple other games that I use from this website and you can go to the home page and click on different grade levels to find more challenging games or easier games depending on the level of the group of students. Here is a small list of websites that I use for this center:

Here is a game that I created using a template in the Smart Notebook Lesson Gallery.  You can use the templates that are already in there and tailor it to the needs of your class.  I programmed this game with the sight words that we had learned so far.  In this game the word is shown on the board and then the students have to find each letter in the grid to make the word.

If you have a smartboard you can go to Smart Exchange and find lessons that other teachers have already created and you can download them to your computer.

I have found that this center really needs a lot of modeling!  the children have a hard time understanding that only one person can touch the board at a time (as you can see in the picture).  They also need to know what to do if they touch something and it closes the game.  I have explained to my students that if this happens they all sit on the floor and raise their hands and I will be there as soon as I can.  Some students think that they can fix it and it usually ends up worse so sitting on the floor helps them to not touch anything else.

Do you have a smartboard in your classroom?
If so do you use it during centers and what kinds of activities/websites do you use?

2 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for this!

    We should totally host a Smartboard games link party!

    I've used funschool.kaboose.com, Sesame Street, twokids.com.

    http://www.tvokids.com/games/alphabetgoop
    www.boowakwala.com

    Margaret
    Kinder Journey

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi MIchelle!
    You totally inspired me with this post! I want to see what sites other teachers use at their smart boards, so I created this linky party.

    Interactive Smart Board Blog Hop

    Check it out!
    Margaret
    Kinder Journey

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...